African Rural University (ARU) licensed by National Council for Higher Education in 2011 License No. UI PL 017 is university in Uganda with an all-female student body. The University was founded by Uganda Rural Development and Training Programme (URDT), ARU is promoting a life orientation that enables people to create their own desired circumstances, become change agents and rural entrepreneurs. The university introduces all students to technologies for creating and systems thinking techniques that enable all participants have a deep understanding and relevant skills for innovations in rural development.
The African Rural University for women provides transformational education to create effective change agents and makers within an African development context. ARU applies theoretical learning, innovative instruction, and field practice, so that ARU graduates can create conditions for people to improve their lives, transform their communities, awaken inherent leadership and increase their capacity for self- generating and sustainable change.
The African Rural University is located in Kagadi Town Council, Kagadi District, along Kyenjojo- Hoima Road.
The university is seeking for qualified persons to fill the above vacancy.
Job title: Accountant
Report s to: The University Bursar
Nature of contract; Performance Based
- Prepare the ARU books of accounts in accordance to the internationally recognized finance and audit principles and in accordance to the laws of the republic of Uganda
- Work hand in hand with the Bursar to prepare financial reports i.e. quarterly and monthly
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the supervisor
Should be graduate of either B.Com, or BBA (Finance/Accounting); and ACCA level two as an added advantage; Should have minimum working experience of at least Three years in related field. Must be conversant with electronic accounting systems/databases;
- Management of fees and tuition collection and other charges;
- Process examination permits and clearance cards as evidence of fees payment;
- Timely preparation of mandatory payments and returns to URA, NSSF and Registrar of Companies;
- Analyze university operations and trends and provide financial advice to management;
- Debt tracking and management;
- Monthly update of staff payroll;
- Inventory taking and asset ledger updateBs notifications;
- Undertake relevant checks to financial reports and bank reconciliations;
- Coach, supervise and appraise subordinates.
- Book keeping,
- Tax return preparation,
- Bank reconciliations,
- Financial reports generation;
- Financial forecasting;
- Steep learning curve;
- Electronic financial management systems;
- Electronic filing and backup management;
- Coaching and mentoring;
- Ability to manage deadlines.
Terms of appointment: Four year Performance Based Contract.
Full time employment
Willing to live and work in Kagadi District.
Effective date of appointment: 3rd April 2017
Salary scale: ARU 4 lower
Interested applicants may submit their application letters, updated CV together with copies of academic transcripts and testimonials to:
The University Secretary
African Rural University
P.O. Box 16253 Kampala
Plot 617, Rubaga
Kibuga Block, Right-off Southern gate
City Parents Basiima Campus
P.O. Box 24
Kagadi District, Uganda
Or E-mail your application to:
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: for receiving applications is 25th January 2017